I help churches with limited musical resources, or none, to use music creatively and effectively in worship.
A great deal of my work uses no accompaniment, reflecting the situation "on the ground" in many churches.
So how does it work?
- we learn some simple but effective songs
- psalm songs
- acclamations for the liturgy, including the Gospel acclamation (alleluia) and Holy Holy
- simple prayer responses
- we learn how to start the song or hymn at roughly the right pitch (i.e. low, middle, high)
- we learn to use simple gestures (not conducting, but enabling)
- we explore the kinds of music that will work in our church and community
- we explore the relationship between word, music and, above all, silence